adventures in dallas & fort worth

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

As I mentioned in my last post, my sister came to visit me this past weekend. Besides shopping, her visits are always a good excuse to take her to new restaurants I've been wanting to try. I thought it'd be fun to hit the highlights of the weekend (with pictures!)

Friday night, we went to Friday on the Green in the Near Southside district of Fort Worth. I've been to this event a few times and it's always such a great way to unwind after a long week of work! We noshed on tacos from Taco Heads food truck and followed that with a trip to Melt for ice cream.


On Saturday, we were up bright and early and headed to Dallas for coffee and breakfast at Ascension. We each got lattes (a vanilla for me, caramel for my sister) and the yogurt granola bowls. The lattes were so delicious and we could not stop talking about how much we loved our granola! The service was also really great.

After coffee, we hopped over to Klyde Warren Park to check it out. Neither of us had been before. It is a beautifully landscaped park with stunning views of downtown and uptown Dallas. We walked around the arts district to kill some time and made our way over to Northpark Mall for some shopping.

After a few hours of shopping, we were starving and ready for lunch! We went to True Food Kitchen to have some yummy healthy brunch and dined al fresco. In the shade, it was quite nice! Plus, we both agreed we wanted to "thaw" out after being at the FREEZING cold mall. I guess they really wanted people to start buying their fall/winter boots and sweaters! Sister ordered the huevos rancheros (no picture--woops!) and I got the turkey sausage with sweet potato hash and eggs. We enjoyed the food and really liked not feeling heavy/gross/too full like we would if we'd eaten elsewhere.

After a little more shopping, we made a little pit stop on the way home to Fort Worth in the new(ish) Trinity Groves area just west of downtown Dallas. I was so surprised at how cute it was! There were several restaurants that smelled devine, but our purpose was to stop in the Kate Weiser chocolate shop. We each got a gorgeous truffle and a macaron to try. The shop also sells homemade candy bars, caramels, and ice cream. The chocolates were almost too pretty to eat! Almost. (PS: I highly recommend the Red Wine and Berries flavor!)

We got home mid-afternoon and watched our Texas Aggies BTHO SMU and refueled with more coffee. Then later, after a little more shopping, we ended the evening with wraps at Spiral Diner--a delicious little gem in the Near Southside district that specializes in vegan and gluten free food--and some J. Rae's cupcakes. HEAVEN.  The "Ate Layer Burrito" wrap at Spiral Diner is amazing, just sayin'.


Sunday morning, we hit up Trader Joe's--my sister's must-go place when she visits--and did a little more shopping. We also stopped by Park Hill Cafe for brunch and both ordered the fresh fruit plates (we weren't super hungry). The plates were surprisingly large and filling, with an assortment of fruit and yogurt dipping sauce. We also enjoyed the complimentary pastry/bread basket and tried a few different breads, muffins, and scones.


Overall--I'd say I had a pretty successful weekend and enjoyed the time with my sister and also finally getting to try out some places I'd been wanting to go! I'm always open for new recommendations in Dallas and Fort Worth, so feel free to comment below with suggestions. xo.

No comments