reaching a milestone

Monday, November 18, 2013
Sunday marked a significant milestone in my shotgun half marathon training. I reached 10 miles! I've been told by friends and family that if I can just get to 10 miles, a half marathon will be a piece of cake. Surprisingly, I didn't have to stop once. I think my endurance was attributed to the fact that I kept a very moderate pace from the get-go, allowing me to keep my energy level up as opposed to burning out in the first 3 miles.

Unfortunately, the timing of this milestone happened to occur on one of the hottest days we've had here in Fort Worth in quite a while; running in 80 degree weather was pretty rough after I'd gotten used to running in the 40s and 50s! Despite the unseasonable heat, everyone and their dog (literally) was out running on the Trinity Trails. One thing I do love about my newfound hobby is the camaraderie. Almost every person I pass gives a knowing smile, head nod, or mouths a quick "morning!" between breaths. It's also been a fun activity to do with my husband. Even though we have different paces, one of us will occasionally either slow down or speed up so we don't get too far from one another. 

I love this quote! No matter how fast or slow you run, accomplishing a huge milestone and surpassing your own expectations of what you think you're capable of is satisfying in and of itself!


Now that my pre-race goal has been reached, I'll start tapering off leading up to the big day with 3-5 mile runs most days during the week and possibly a 5 or 6 miler next weekend. Aside from training in the week ahead, I will be wishing, hoping, and praying that we can get our house inspected early this week so we can begin closing! How wonderful it'd be to spend the holidays with family gathered around the table at our house!!

xo.

No comments