Friday, November 29, 2013
I took a little break from my blog yesterday to focus on family and counting my blessings. I'm back today to share a little of how the day went--namely my first ever half marathon!

Wednesday evening, I saw the 10:30 showing of Hunger Games: Catching Fire with the hubs. Not quite sure why we thought that was a good idea, given that our race was early the next morning. Nevertheless, we had a great time and thought the movie was awesome.

We set out our race clothes when we got home and finally went to bed at nearly 2 a.m. The 6:30 wake up call came all too soon, but adrenaline helped us wake up quickly and we set out for Trinity Trails Park. Yesterday morning was VERY very very very cold. Somehow, my energy levels stayed up almost the entire time, and the only things bothering me were that a) I drank too much water before the race and really had to go to the bathroom around mile 3; and b) my hands were so cold they hurt for the first 8 miles--I couldn't warm up, even with gloves! I pushed through it, though, and felt so accomplished and relieved to finish!

Left: Tired after the race! Right: Sinking into our Thanksgiving food comas.

My 4 week training program was totally doable, and although it's always recommended to train for a longer amount of time, it is definitely possible to prepare for a half in one month. My schedule basically consisted of one or two rest days a week, with alternating 4-6 mile runs during the week and longer runs on the weekends (8-10 miles). The weekend of the race I took it easy and didn't go over 6 miles. I set milestones for each weekend to increase distance, running a 4, 6, and 10, tapering off again before the race. 

After the race, we went home to clean up and I immediately set to work on some mini apple galettes to bring over to Thanksgiving lunch with my mother-in-law and her friends. I had only made a large galette before and was unsure how the minis would turn out. I used gluten free Pillsbury pie crust dough and prepared the filling using this recipe via Heaps of Henri, making sure to prepare the filling the night before to reduce my work (read: stress) the day of. The hubs and I tested one to make sure it turned out, which I was happy to find it did! We then headed out for lunch and some Cowboys game viewing.

At half time, we returned home with major food comas to hang out with our lonely pups and watched a few Netflix movies. We had an awesome second Thanksgiving dinner that we picked up from Central Market after the race that morning to replenish all the calories we'd burned earlier. Perfect way to end the night!

Hope you and yours had the best Thanksgiving!


No comments