house, holidays, half-marathon, and... midterms

Monday, November 4, 2013
Can you believe it's November? Wow! I feel like this half of the year has really flown, but I think that might be attributed partly to the home building process I'm currently on the home-stretch of, and party to the fact that I started my MBA this summer. The demanding schedules of both, with the deadlines that go along with them, have made the days, weeks, and months pass like no other.

The house is getting oh so close to completion (it's already quite a few weeks behind schedule, but that's a whole other story!) and I'm so anxious to get settled and start planning for the hubs and I's first holidays in our own house! We currently live in a condo that offers significantly less square footage. Though we have loved every second of living there and will miss it dearly, it's time to expand and finally be able to have friends and family stay at our place for a change (as opposed to always traveling for the holidays.) This new chapter will be a fun source of inspiration for new blog posts in the near future, so stay tuned for more of that! From decorating, to event planning, to neighborhood discovering... words just can't really describe how excited I am to embark on this new adventure!

Additionally, school has really taken a toll on my free time and my stress levels. It's been more manageable than I anticipated, but nonetheless takes away from creative pursuits that I enjoy so much: photography, blogging, and painting. Now that it's November, midterms for my second session of classes are approaching, along with several papers and group projects. It's a lot to balance, which means a little less opportunity to blog. However, I am going to try to write at least a little something a few times a week. Namely, posts about half marathon training and holiday planning!

That's right, I just signed up for my very first half, and it's on Thanksgiving morning! If you're interested, it's the Fort Worth Thanksgiving 5000 & Half. I've participated in a number of 5Ks throughout the years and finally decided to give the half a try. It's a fun way to start off the holidays and who knows, it might become the hubs and I's new Thanksgiving tradition! Normally, people prepare for months in advance of a half. However, since this was a spontaneous decision, I obviously do not have much time to train. Consequently, I'll be focusing more on a steady pace and just enjoying the scenery and less on getting a good time. This will just help me in avoiding injuries; and if I have to take pauses to walk, I will! I'm so excited and will for sure be sharing a little on how I've trained for the race as well as anything I do or buy in preparation for race day. I already started off Sunday morning with a lovely--albeit slow--4 mile jog along the Trinity River. I am hoping to increase the distance incrementally up to 10 miles. I'm using this Women's Health 4 week half marathon training plan as a guide.



Whew--I did not know this post was going to be so long. If you made it this far, thanks for reading my ramblings! Please comment and let me know your experiences with half marathons. What you enjoy about them, how you trained, what you wore, etc. I'm soaking in any and all advice I can get!

xo.

No comments