vacation pics + getting over the vacation blues

Monday, August 25, 2014

I returned from the Dominican Republic on Friday night and I'm definitely glad I had Saturday + Sunday to get slowly acclimated back to the "real world." On Saturday, I did lots of laundry, picked up my two sweet pups from my parents (who had generously offered to watch them while we were gone), and got some groceries for the week. On Sunday, I planted myself on the sofa in front of the TV in an attempt to fight off a summer cold.

It's bittersweet coming home from a vacation. On one hand, it's nice to get back into a routine, sleep in my own bed, and have all the creature comforts of home. However, I'll undoubtedly be daydreaming at work all week about lounging on the beach beneath the shade of palm trees, the sounds of ringing phones and hallway conversations replaced by the gentle whoosh of tropical breezes.




Every time I go on vacation, it seems I begin to dread going back to the world of responsibilities and work before I even board the airplane. I'm determined to soften the blow of Monday this time by incorporating things that make me happy:

1. Starbucks - I'm planning to start my day off with a caffeinated beverage from my beloved coffee shop. Rumor has it that the Pumpkin Spice Latte is making an early return (perhaps this week!).

2. A healthy breakfast - This isn't a new addition to my routine, but it is important for setting the tone for the rest of my day. After a week of indulging on vacation, it's time to get back on track and eat right! Overnight oats might just do the trick (I use a recipe very similar to this one from Corner Kitchen!)

3. Cute outfit - Do you ever notice that on days you look your best, you feel pretty good, too? I'm going to slip into one of my favorite dresses, curl my hair, and kick off Monday with a big BANG. For cute work outfit ideas, I've been getting lots of inspo lately from 9 to 5 Chic.

4. At-home mani/pedi - Going along with #3 above, freshly painted nails always lift my spirits just a bit. I've got my vacation white (Essie's Baby Breath) still on my toes, but opted for a neutral pinky-beige for my fingers.

5. Happy playlist - Spotify is one of my favorite apps that I use daily. I recently started building a playlist with happy, perky, upbeat songs that will get me in a positive mindset for the work week. MMMBop, anyone?

What are your favorite ways to beat the Vacation/Monday Blues? xo.

No comments