summer reads

Wednesday, August 27, 2014
With school and work keeping me busy as ever, I've been quite pleased with myself that I've made time to also do some pleasure-reading. I've always been a huge bookworm, but the ability to guiltlessly indulge in a good book doesn't come easy when I think of all the "other things I could be doing."  This summer, though, I've been tearing through novels like no other, using suggestions from friends, Pinterest, and--my favorite--the Apple iBookstore, as my guide.

So far, I've read:

A quick rundown on each book:

(1) The Goldfinch by Donna Tart -- LOVED this book. It's a very lengthy read, but I was thoroughly impressed with her storytelling. It was raw and real. I didn't notice much repetitiveness (i.e. she has an extensive vocabulary, which I admire).

(2) Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple -- This was a very unique book and a departure from any other writing style I've read thus far. At times slow moving, the book culminated nicely and I was happy with the ending. 

(3) Gone, Girl by Gillian Flynn -- Not my most favorite book. Again, a very unique storytelling style (alternating between one character's present and another character's past. The ending leaves much to be desired, so I am interested to see how it translates in the upcoming film.

(4) The One & Only by Emily Giffin -- Least favorite book I have read all summer. I had heard great things about Emily Giffin's novels and was eager to read her newest work. I was utterly disappointed with the limited vocabulary and the character development. Unfortunately I cannot recommend this book to anyone. However, I am still open to giving her other books a try!

(5) Rules of Civility by Amor Towles -- Great, easy read. I love period pieces and especially love stories that take place in the 20s and 30s. You will like this book if you enjoyed The Great Gatsby. Other similar novels are The Paris Wife (LOVE love love) and The Beautiful and the Damned.

My fall book list currently includes: A Secret History, If I Stay, Me Before You, You Knew Me When, The Beginning of Everything, & #GIRLBOSS.

Tell me--what are you favorite books you've read lately? If you've read any of the above, what did you think? xo.

No comments